We try to do a 2 week US road trip annually. Our mission – to visit all 52 states and eat at the restaurants from the TV show, Man vs Food! With two kids under 4 this might sound like a crazy undertaking but road trips are good fun.
This year was the turn of Texas. I have written previous posts on planning road trips and I promise you, with careful preparation, you & the kids will have a great time.
Our route took us:
Hong Kong → Los Angeles → Fort Worth → Dallas → Austin → Lost Pines → San Antonio → Houston → Los Angeles → Hong Kong
I’ll share my thoughts on each of these cities in separate posts but this was truly a road trip to remember
Here are some top tips:
- Don’t be spontaneous. Plan your trips well e.g. book hotels and advise on crib/rollaway requirements
- Get a Sat Nav in your hire car
- Check when attractions are open. We drove 30 mins to Sea World San Antonio, only to find out it was closed
- If you can, book suites in hotels. You can get reasonably priced 1 bed suites in the cheaper hotel chains. It is nice to put the kids to bed and then relax in your own room.
- For jetlag, get your kids on local time asap
- Try to pack light. If you are on the move every few days you will bringing suitcases in & out of your hotel on a regular basis
- Don’t change locations too quickly. Stay 2-3 nights per destination to allow yourself some relaxation time
- Limit car journeys to under 5 hours
- Get a car with an inbuilt DVD player or bring your own
- Buy/borrw a decent stroller (double if you have 2 or more). We borrowed this fantastic Graco stroller from a neighbour which carried my toddler and baby comfortably.