I was recently asked how long I have been blogging about family travel. I was amazed when I realised it’s been over three years, initially on an informal blogspot site and over the past two years on my more professional (ish!) wordpress site. Bloggers will know it’s hard not to let blogging take over your life e.g. frantically blogging when you should be working, interacting on social media when you should be parenting and worrying about why your stats are on the decline. I am passionate about travel and encouraging us all to get out there and do it, despite all the cr*p that comes with it e.g. jetlag and mayhem. Yes, THAT’S where the title comes from. So for all my lovely readers and friends who ask why and how I keep going, here’s an insight into what I love about travel blogging!
- My blog is my creative outlet. For those that don’t know, my corporate day job is a recruiter. Not so creative. However, every time I log in to Jetlag & Mayhem and start to type a post, I get a huge rush of excitement and can’t stop typing. Hence my often incoherent, overexcited blog posts about family travel.
- Whilst tapping away at my laptop can appear lonely, travel blogging has given me access to an amazing community of blogging friends. I love reading what my favourite bloggers have been up to, participating in twitter parties and seeking advice in blogging communities like BritMums.
- Blogging pushes me out of my comfort zone when I travel. Sometimes its easy to get to a destination and flop, especially when you’re with the kids. However, I feel its my duty to do new places justice, whether it’s sightseeing as much as I can to sampling all the local food.
- I absolutely love hearing from my readers and get a real buzz when I see you are contacting me from all over the world. I regularly get asked ‘what seats should I choose’, ‘what hotels I recommend’, ‘where can I buy phenergan’ etc. I NEVER tire of answering your questions. I love helping others out as I know that whenever I have a family travel question, I simply turn to all of you and get great answers in return.
- I LOVE hearing about new travel destinations and hot hotels. One of the reasons I started my blog is that I would always find myself interrogating my friends on where they had gone, from how they booked it to describing what the room was like. Family travel is not cheap and it can be tough so what better way than to go into your destination as informed as possible. I love sharing real reviews of real places by real parents.
- Travel blogging has led me down some very exciting paths whether that is paid writing jobs for magazines to meeting inspirational leaders in the travel industry.
- Let’s not forget the freebies. Whether it’s a complimentary hotel stay to testing out the latest in travel toys on my kids, I do love the free stuff. That said, I would never promote anything on my site that I’m not in favour of and I always feature a disclaimer when I have received any kind of favourable treatment.
Thanks for all of your support over the years. Wishing you all a Happy Chinese New Year from Hong Kong!